Sunday, October 30, 2016

Kit - the second opinion



Whenever I am faced with possible life ending diagnosis, I like to get a second opinion. Even if the doctor says the exact same thing as the first, I find it very helpful... it puts an end to second-guessing, wondering, and a lot of 'what ifs'.

The second vet, Dr. F, was nice and helpful and personable. I liked him a lot and when I'm back on my own two feet I am going to look into seeing if going to this clinic is an option.  He took another fine needle aspirate to see what he could see and, unfortunately, he is also of the belief that we are not dealing with an abscess. I was fairly certain the first vet was right but having the second look solidified it. My vet had called me about an hour before the appointment and told me that Kit's blood work all looked fine including her thyroid. Except for the great big lump on her throat she's in perfect health.


Sadly, these cells look abnormal and are not puss so we are still looking at something serious. Dr. F also suggested the biopsy, but he was willing to talk to me about the treatment options for anything we might find - something my current vet is unwilling to do, she is not willing to treat what she has not officially diagnosed.

He said there were a number of things it could be. There were two types of cancer, each type has two types, aggressive and benign. If it is aggressive, then we are looking at life ending events. We could do surgery and then chemo and radiation, but with a 30-40% success rate the chances of remission there is a very strong possibility that her last days would be miserable, and neither my husband nor I want this. He is adamant about not putting her through a lot of car rides. If it is benign, then there is a chance that having surgery will give her some extra time, but it too will come at her expense.  The treatment for benign cancer would be steroids, prednisolone in particular.

Then there is the chance it is an infection. The treatment for that is prednisolone and antibiotics.

I know my husband does not want a biopsy. He barely wanted me to take her out of the house for a second opinion... so finding out exactly what we were facing appeared to be off the table. We discussed our options and what removing that diagnostic tool from our toolbox meant. The treatment for any of the options that the biopsy would show us turn out to be the same, except in the worse case, we have opted not to pursue treatment. So we decided to go with the steroids and antibiotics and hope for a reduction in the tumor, hoping that it isn't a tumor but an infection.  Once we made that decision we found a message on the answering machine from Dr. F offering to send the slides of the aspirate to IDEXX to see if they could determine what we were dealing with. This appealed to both of us a great deal, because we would like to know what we are facing, so I took them back to the clinic to be sent off.


So she is on prednisolone twice a day and antibiotics once a day and has been since Friday evening. This morning I examined the lump and I thought it felt smaller... I (and the doctor) used the word golf ball to describe the size and I am fairly certain it is smaller than that now, but I am not sure if it is because I really really want it to be smaller.  Time will tell.

28 comments:

  1. We certainly understand that reducing stress for everyone has to be a big part of the equation. It sounds like Dr F has a plan and is with you as you move forward. We are sending healing purrs the meds work and the test shows something you can work with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We send Kit and all of you a ton of purrs. We hope the meds help her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending continued good thoughts. Sounds like this vet was decent and helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope the steroids work, sending healing thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're glad you went with another vet's opinion on this. We hope that it is indeed getting smaller.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sending purrs to Kit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sending good thoughts to Kit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are glad you were able to get the second opinion. Sending purrs, prayers and good thoughts for you and Kit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sending healing thoughts to Kit and love to you and your hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sending strong healing purrs to you, dear Kit; our paws are crossed for the best possible outcome.
    Purrs ... Rainbow

    ReplyDelete
  11. Many prayers and healing Purrs coming for my kitties, not only to Kit, but also to you and DH. I know how close he is to her and how devastated you both must be. We will hold another today for Kit. ❤️🐾❤️🐾❤️🐾

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sending positive vibes your way...Cancer is such a terrible thing and I hope that this is NOT, and the treatment does the trick. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Paws crossed that this mass IS getting smaller! I'm sending LOTS of purrs to Kit!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad you got a second opinion and have a course of action to try. I'm sending universal Light for the very best outcome for Kit, sending you hugs, and the boys are continuing to send their purrs and purrayers.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't know how I missed this post ... I've been thinking about all of you and wondering how it was going. You'll all remain in my thoughts ... we're sending love and healing thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't believe I missed the previous post about this! Finding a vet whose philosophies align (reasonably) well with yours is tough to do, especially when there's so much on the line. I'm glad you found someone who will listen and work with you in Kit's best interest. Thinking lots of good thoughts for Kit, and big hugs for you and your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am glad you went for a second opinion and this vet is more helpful. I hope the Pred and antibiotics help and that the lump is smaller. We send good thoughts and purrs for Kit, to you and your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  18. We are so very sorry, we are sending healing purrs for Kit and comforting purrs for the entire family. We have our paws crossed that it is shrinking.

    Miracles do happen, Socks is still with us and in 2013 it didn't look like he would be. http://atcad.blogspot.com/search?q=Socks+medvet

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hugs, prayers and healing being sent to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. We seven are rooting hard for Kit and sending love, purrs and hugs to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hang in there, Kit! It's good that everything else about her is so solid. I think I would have made the same choices you have made.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sending healing purrs and thoughts to Kit - hope the meds help. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm SO glad the 2nd vet offered to send the tissue samples to IDEXX. Even thought the treatment may not change, just knowing what they can tell you about the sample might ease the stress of not knowing. Sending hugs, purrs and much love to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Prayers - prayers - prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Dr. F sounds easy to work with, willing to discuss all treatment options. I hope you get answers from IDEXX, and I really hope the mass is smaller!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Praying hard the lump is an infection and the meds will make it disappear and that it never returns. Sending lots of love and positive thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
  27. We send Kit tons of healing purrs, and we hope the meds work. Purrs

    ReplyDelete
  28. You are so good to your kitties. Praying for you all, especially sweet Kit.

    ReplyDelete

All spam will be fed to the kittens

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...