Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Bri & Skippy

I'm going to try to not dwell on what happened. It is tragic what happened to Bri, but I'm not sure that even if I had done every "what if" I come up with that I could have saved her.  I know full well there really wasn't anything short of super human powers that could have saved her, but grief still has a way of playing the "what if" game.  What if I had taken her to the vet when she first stopped eating (but she occasionally didn't eat her full meal, it wasn't unreasonable to not worry at that point) or when she didn't eat her beloved yogurt treat (ok, that one I can't really qualify, she never ignored those before, but there is a first time for everything) or if I had taken her right away in the AM when I noticed she still hadn't eaten the rest of her meal from yesterday or her yogurt treat (I probably should have, but would that have made that much of a difference?  Rabbits are notorious for going down hill fast and not turning around)   About an hour before I brought her in, I noticed she had some eye and nasal discharge.  Nothing drastic, just a little bit, which is when I knew I needed to bring her in, but I had to wait for my husband to come home.

But what gets me is when I showed up at the eclinic, that I was put off for so long.  Because rabbits are so fragile, I would think anything short of a blood spurting trauma (and no, I don't have proof there weren't a few of those that caused the delay) should have had to wait until she was seen.  I got to the clinic at around 1:30, and it was 3pm before I finally made a stink about not being seen.  The receptionist wanted to know if I wanted to check out for goodness sake.  finally the tech took the rabbit back so the doctor could "squeeze it in between seeing others"  I know rabbits are a bit more of a disposable pet vs dogs and cats, but my fee is just as high as theirs, and I should be afforded the proper respect for that. 

She was given fluids, and sent home with medication... which was another 30-40 minutes that she was with out help.  The least they should have done was give her the first dose.  Would it have made a difference? probably not, but it might have.

and what really gets me is that script they gave me for another medication that was spelled wrong and made out to the wrong last name.  Which is just two more reasons why I don't feel I was treated right.

I have to believe that it wouldn't have made a difference.  I have to.  But I don't have to allow them to go on thinking I was happy with the visit.  I will be sending them a letter when I can do it with out being overly emotional.

When I left with Bri I shut the door to her room.  I couldn't bare to come home and see it.  I opened it this morning because I knew Skippy would want to go in and visit with Bri (cause I don't think he knows)  I found him in there this morning as I was leaving for work, looking at me like "where's Bri?"  Broke my heart.

I can't believe it was just Friday that she licked my toes..

1 comment:

  1. This is so sad. Rabbits are as worthy as pets as any animal we take into our homes and hearts. I'm sorry that Bri didn't make it and that the vets didn't treat you well. Maybe another practice would treat you better. Things like this can shake your faith in vets.

    Sending you love and rumbly purrs

    Whicky Wuudler
    & The Ape


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...